October 11, 2012

humility

being married for 5 months ( tomorrow ) and in our small apartment has taught me alot. i went from growing up in a beautiful 3 bedroom house with a huge yard in the suburbs to a small apartment in a crummier area. i remember the first few nights of coming home from our honeymoon and i literally cried because it didn't feel like "home". the sounds were different, there was no familiarity. there were no pictures on the walls or dirty clothes on the floor. no left over dishes. no music. i had the hardest time sleeping in such emptiness. it took a couple months and now our humble abode feels like "home." it feels good to say that our place is no longer empty, and stephen and i fill the spaces and enjoy every minute of being married.
so, with being in a small apartment here are a few things a humble and thankful heart has taught me:

bottom line, i thank God everyday that we are blessed enough to even have a roof over our heads. Lord, please humble me and help me to always remember what you do for us.

6 comments:

  1. It's adorable!! I love your space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! I went from living with my family to living with my husband overnight lol ... I look back and really miss that time in our "tiny little first home" enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww. same here. i had never lived in a dorm or with girlfriends i literally went from my childhood house to living with this man! it has all been a blessing but glad to hear it gets even better. i've heard a lot of married couples ( 4-10yrs ) that say they also miss their first "starter" "shoe box" home. so comforting!

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog: so cute! What a great take-away from your first months as a married couple. My family has been in the same small house for five years now. The lessons never stop coming, thank God for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for visiting sarah! i know what you mean about lessons, they are so good for us. after being so humbled by living in an apartment...i don't even know if i'd like to live in a big house someday. only the Lord knows!

      Delete